How To Revise An Essay: Helpful Guide For Your Perfect Result
If you don’t know how to revise an essay, you can quickly finish your draft and hand it in for marking. Revision is an ongoing or constant process for some students because they compose essays on computers. Revision entails deleting, cutting, and pasting words, phrases, and commas for such learners. However, revision is more than tweaking sentences and changing expressions. It’s a process requiring you to accept that parts of the essay or the entire piece require rewriting and rethinking. And getting to such a state of mind is not easy.
First, you could be too attached to your essay, meaning you might be unwilling to alter what you have written. Second, you might not have sufficient time to revise the paper if it requires much work, yet it is due in a few hours. You could even have an upcoming exam, meaning you need time to rest. Third, you may not understand what’s wrong with the essay. Finally, you may be tired of the paper, meaning you’re unwilling to give it an extra go-through due to exhaustion. Nevertheless, submitting an essay without revision can ruin your otherwise excellent grade. That’s why you shouldn’t ignore essay revising at all costs.
What Does It Mean To Revise Essay?
Revision means “to see again” or look at something afresh from a critical perspective. When revising essays, students should rethink their papers continuously. Excellent essay revision entails reconsidering the arguments, reviewing evidence, refining the purpose, reorganizing information presentation, and reviving stale prose.
From this definition, revision is more than fixing spelling and commas. Correcting such errors is proofreading a paper, also an essential aspect of the writing process. But if your essay has a weak thesis, predictable ideas, and messy organization, proofreading won’t help. Essentially, proofreading should come after revising the paper. But if you don’t have time for all those steps, you can simply get our college essay editing online help and be sure to get perfect result.
Also, rewording the sentences by selecting better words and avoiding repetition is not revision. That’s called editing, another crucial step in essay writing. Editing will polish your work. However, rephrasing the essay won’t make a significant difference if you don’t rethink your ideas.
Why Should You Revise Essay?
Essay revision is essential for more than grades. When you revise, you make your essay better. You also learn to write better papers by rewriting them during the revision process. When fixing your work, you improve your analytical and reading skills. You know to challenge your ideas, thereby strengthening and deepening your arguments. Also, you learn to point your weakness and discover patterns of your habits or errors in the organization.
While proper revision requires energy and time, it makes you a more efficient essay writer. For instance, you can discover that you tend to bury topic sentences in paragraphs. In that case, you can avoid this mistake in your following essays.
Overall, revising an essay enables you to determine whether what you have written is:
- Worth saying
- What you wanted to tell the readers
- Easy for the readers to understand
Essentially, learners should not skip revising their essays because it makes them better for the readers. It also shows the professor that a student took the time to polish their work. But what is the best way for the student to revise the essay?
How To Revise Essay
Some students ask their loved ones to do this job because they don’t know how to revise. Revising an essay can be large-scale or small-scale. Large-scale revision entails looking at the entire paper for areas with awry thinking. In this case, you may provide additional evidence, add new steps in your reasoning, and even define terms. You can also rewrite or restructure the essay completely if you discover intriguing ideas or find a more effective structure.
Small-scale revision entails fixing a section of the paper that doesn’t seem to work. Perhaps, you think the introduction requires some work. You could also notice a weak part of your argument. After locating the problem, you can revise that particular part of the paper. Nevertheless, you may reconsider the entire essay after fixing that single part.
How To Revise Essay In College
When writing essays in college or university, students should do everything possible to avoid handing in their first drafts. If a student feels stuck or frustrated, they can involve other people in their revision process. Alternatively, they can take a break between writing and revision. That way, they can relax and gain a new perspective. Here’s how to revise and edit an essay.
1.Analize your content
The revision of an essay begins with the analysis of the substance in the entire piece. Here are the questions to ask when revising your paper for content:
- Have you stated your thesis firmly and clearly?
- Does your essay reflect all the sources you consulted?
- Does the paper present your analysis?
- Does the piece include specific evidence supporting your ideas?
- Did you analyze and explain the evidence?
- Does your logic have gaps that require correcting?
- Have you fulfilled the goals you aimed at in your thesis?
- Does your paper meet all the requirements specified by the teacher?
Fix any section of the paper that prevents your work from providing relevant substance.
2.Review for structure
When revising the overall structure of your essay, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the introduction indicate the content of your paper?
- Does your essay have a logical and clear pattern for proving your thesis?
- Are the paragraphs in your essay well-developed and unified?
- Are there transitions between sections and paragraphs?
- Do you have topic sentences in all paragraphs?
- Does each paragraph relate to your thesis?
- Is the conclusion of your essay exciting and well-reasoned?
Revise and edit any part of the paper that doesn’t meet high structural standards.
3.Adjust your style
Errors and unclear writing will detract you from your thinking and ideas. Therefore, think about the overall style of your essay. Here’s what you should consider when revising your paper for style.
- Does your essay have excessive use of the passive voice?
- Is the language of your essay gender neutral?
- Does your essay use concise and precise language?
- Have you fixed repetitive syntax?
- Have you eliminated grammatical errors to ensure proper spelling for events and names?
- Have you footnoted all information correctly, including a properly formatted bibliography?
Fix such errors in your paper to ensure the style makes it easy to read and comprehend.
4.Proofread and edit the essay
Proofreading and editing entail reading through the paper, focusing on accuracy and formatting. Ideally, you don’t focus on substance in this step. Instead, you want to ensure the accuracy and proper formatting of the paper. Here’s what to check for when proofreading and editing your essay.
- Correct word choice, typographical and spelling errors
- Double spacing, unless your school, faculty, or teacher directs you otherwise
- Correct bibliography and documentation
- Pagination or proper page numbers in all pages apart from the title page
- Underlined or italicized book titles
- Quotation marks in article titles
- A title page comprising the essay title, your name, tutorial leader’s name, your section, and the date
These are the vital steps to follow when revising an essay. Nevertheless, different people have varying revision strategies for essays. But this guide should make essay revision a straightforward process.
5.Practical Tips For Revising Essays
Maybe following the above steps doesn’t seem easy for you. In that case, you need the following tips to revise your paper.
- Check your essay organization: Start by considering your essay’s outline. Does the paper feature a clear introduction, body part, and conclusion? Ensure that the introduction provides sufficient information about the theme and main idea.
- Check your content: Your essay should have relevant content, depending on the topic. Also, your paper should have adequate length, as per the educator’s instructions. Each sentence should prove your topic knowledge.
- Include enough sources: Ensure that your paper provides relevant and reliable information sources. That way, you will give your essay credibility by including data from authoritative sources.
- Don’t skip proofreading: Once you know how to revise a paper, you can ensure proper organization and content in the essay. But glaring grammatical and spelling errors will still ruin the quality of your work. Luckily, you can only eliminate them by proofreading your essay. Therefore, don’t skip proofreading if you want to submit a high-quality paper.
- Check your paper for plagiarism: Learning institutions don’t tolerate plagiarism in academic assignments. That’s why you should cite every source you use to write your essay. Using a plagiarism checker can help you eliminate plagiarism in your paper.
This guideline provides sound advice to help you revise your essay. However, you may not have sufficient time to fix errors and ensure content quality in your work. Some students think fixing mistakes in a paper takes a few minutes. But proper revision takes time to ensure the quality of the essay.
For this reason, start working on your paper early to ensure that you will have sufficient time to revise it. Ideally, having adequate time to fix your work enables you to give it a fresh look. Something could have sounded brilliant when writing but proves less critical after some time.
Nevertheless, revising doesn’t mean rewriting the entire paper. In some cases, you may revise your thesis to match what you discovered when writing. It can also mean restructuring your arguments and defending your position better. You may also want to add vivid examples to demonstrate your points. Also, you might want to shift the order of the paper to make arguments easier to follow.
Revising can also entail deleting or adding material for emphasis or balance. Unfortunately, the revision could mean trashing the first draft and writing afresh. Nevertheless, this is better than submitting the final paper, only for the educator to reject it.
6.How Do You Revise Essay When You Don’t Have Time?
Perhaps, you have already written an essay that is due for submission in a few hours. Unfortunately, you have more important things to do rather than revise it. What’s more, you might worry that your revision could make things worse. In that case, you can use our professional help to submit a winning essay despite your tight schedule. Allowing our experts to check your work makes the revising process easier.
Over the years, many learners have used our essay website for students to submit high-quality papers without breaking a sweat. That’s because we’re knowledgeable specialists who earn from writing and polishing essays. Once you enlist our service, we help you submit work that will leave the educator no option but to award you the top grade.
Whether you don’t have sufficient time to revise your essay or are not confident in your editing skills, our crew can help you. And all you need is to contact us saying something like, “Please revise my essay.” Our team will respond swiftly to fix all errors in your paper within your timeframe. We offer fast and affordable writing, revising, and editing services online.
What’s more, we give every order a personalized look. Thus, you get custom service catering to all your unique needs upon contacting us. So, waste no more time struggling to revise your paper. Instead, contact us now for quality, efficient, and reliable services!