278 Current US History Essay Topics You Will Enjoy!
On this page, you will find a brand new list of 278 US history essay topics for 2023. All of our ideas are 100% original and you are free to use them as you wish. Why waste time searching for an interesting topic all over the Internet when all you have to do is visit this page and choose an idea?
In addition to 278 unique US history topics to write about, we also have a list of critical advice that you should keep in mind when writing an essay or a research paper on the history of the United States. Read on and find out how you can get bonus points on your writing assignments in 2023!
Writing A Great US History Essay
U.S. history refers to the history of the United States starting from the arrival of the first indigenous peoples in North America to the present day.
The study of U.S. history is essential for understanding the development of the United States as a nation and its role in world events, as well as for gaining insight into the social, economic, political, and cultural forces that have shaped the country. If you are required to write an essay on a topic in American history, here are some very important to keep in mind:
- Read the prompt twice to make sure you have a clear understanding of the requirements.
- Once you have a clear understanding of the topic, create an outline for your essay.
- Your thesis statement should be a clear and concise statement that summarizes the main argument of your essay.
- Your introduction should grab the reader’s attention and provide context for your essay.
- As you write your essay, use evidence from your research to support your arguments.
- Make sure your essay stays focused on the topic and is well-organized.
- Be sure to consider different viewpoints and analyze how they shaped the course of history.
- As you write your essay, be sure to analyze the cause-and-effect relationships.
U.S. history is a vast and complex subject, so it’s important to choose a specific topic that you can realistically cover in your essay. This is why we have the best US history essay topics on the Internet right here. Our topic list has been updated for 2023, so the topics are 100% original. Take your pick:
Easy US History Essay Topics
We’ll start our list with some pretty easy US history essay topics. You won’t have to spend more than 2 or 3 hours writing and essay on these ideas:
- The Boston Tea Party: causes and consequences
- Westward Expansion and its effects on Native Americans
- The Civil War: causes, events, and outcomes
- The Emancipation Proclamation and its impact on slavery
- The impact of the Gold Rush on the development of the West
- The Progressive Era: goals and accomplishments
- Impact of the New Deal on American society
- The Great Depression: causes and government responses
- The attack on Pearl Harbor: causes and consequences
- Impact of the New Deal on American society
- The Cuban Missile Crisis: causes and outcomes
- The Vietnam War: causes and consequences
- Watergate: causes, events, and consequences
- The Reagan Revolution: policies and outcomes
- The Gulf War: causes and outcomes
- 9/11: causes and responses
- The Obama presidency: policies and achievements
- The #MeToo movement: goals and challenges
- The COVID-19 pandemic: causes and government responses
Current Topics In US History
If you are interested in writing on more recent topics in US history, you can find some right here. And remember, all of these topics are unique:
- COVID-19 and its impact on the American healthcare system
- Racial justice and police reform in the US
- The political polarization of America and its effects on democracy
- Climate change and environmental policies in the United States
- The immigration debate and policies under the Biden administration
- Gun control policies and the Second Amendment debate in the US
- The #MeToo movement and its impact on American society
- The impact of the legalization of marijuana on American society
- The impact of social media on US politics
- The rise of populism and nationalism in America
- The ongoing opioid epidemic and its impact on American communities
- LGBTQ+ rights and discrimination in the United States
- The impact of the gig economy on American workers
- The effects of income inequality on American society
- Healthcare reform under the Biden administration
- The U.S. response to the global refugee crisis
- Cybersecurity threats and challenges facing the United States
- The role of social media in spreading misinformation the US
Civil War Topics
Looking for some intriguing Civil War topics? Take a look at the list of ideas below and choose the best one for your assignment:
- The significance of the Battle of Antietam in the Civil War
- Discuss the Civil War and the role of women
- The Confederacy’s economic policies
- The role of African American soldiers in the Civil War
- The role of foreign intervention in the Civil War
- The impact of the Civil War on the development of American industry
- The role of newspapers in shaping public opinion during the Civil War
- The impact of disease and medicine on soldiers
- The experiences of Southern civilians during the Civil War
- Reconstruction policies after the Civil War
- The effectiveness of propaganda
- The role of religion in the Civil War
- The role of the Underground Railroad
- The impact of the Civil War on Native American tribes
American History Essay Topics For High School
Of course, we have a list of American history topics for high school students. These are not too complicated, so you should be able to write an essay on any of them in a couple of hours:
- Analyzing the impact of the Harlem Renaissance
- The Underground Railroad’s role in abolishing slavery
- The challenges and successes of the Reconstruction Era
- Significance of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- The American Revolution and its consequences
- Struggles of African American soldiers in WWII
- Integration of public schools in America
- Goals, strategies, and impact of the Black Panthers
- Analyzing the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Impact of the Great Migration on African Americans
- Origins of Japanese American internment during WWII
- Investigating the origins of affirmative action policies
American History Topics Related To Wars
The US has been involved in multiple wars over the years, so why now write about one of them? In fact, here are some thought-provoking American history topics related to wars:
- Causes and consequences of the Spanish-American War
- US role in World War I
- Significance of Normandy Invasion in World War II
- Effects of Vietnam War on American society
- Impact of Korean War on US foreign policy
- Origins and impact of Gulf War in the Middle East
- US role in the war in Afghanistan
- Causes and effects of the Iraq War
- US role in the Cuban Missile Crisis
- Significance of the Battle of Gettysburg
- Impact of the Battle of Midway on World War II outcome
- Effects of the Battle of the Alamo on US-Mexico relations
- US role in the First Gulf War
- Impact of Pearl Harbor bombing on American politics
- Significance of the Battle of Antietam in the Civil War
- US role in the Mexican-American War
- Effects of the War on Terror on US national security
US History Regents Thematic Essay Topics
There are a wide variety of topics on the US history Regents, but we believe some of them are more common than others. Here are some popular US history regents thematic essay topics:
- Manifest Destiny’s role in US expansion
- Industrial Revolution’s impact on American society
- Significance of the Monroe Doctrine
- Sectionalism and the lead up to the Civil War
- Emancipation Proclamation’s impact on Civil War
- Plessy v. Ferguson’s significance
- New Deal’s impact on American society
- Significance of Civil Rights Act (1964)
- Cold War’s role in shaping US policy
- American Revolution and its consequences
- Marshall Plan’s significance
- Great Society’s role in America
- Watergate scandal’s impact on presidency
American History Debate Topic Ideas
Looking for some great American history debate topic ideas? Your supervisor will be thrilled to see that you’ve chosen an original topic. Just pick one of these ideas:
- Was the Civil War really about states’ rights?
- Was the Louisiana Purchase a wise decision?
- Was the United States justified in dropping atomic bombs on Japan?
- Was Abraham Lincoln a great president?
- Was the Cold War necessary for American national security?
- Should the United States have entered World War I?
- Did the American Revolution truly achieve its goal?
- Was the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII necessary?
- Did the Civil Rights Movement achieve its goal?
- Was the Vietnam War a justifiable conflict?
- Should the United States have entered the First Gulf War?
- Was the impeachment of President Bill Clinton fair?
US History Thematic Essay Topics
Are you scouring the Internet for some original US history thematic essay topics? No problem, we’ve got your back! Check these out:
- Discuss the role of slavery in the development of the US
- Examine the impact of immigration on American society and culture
- Talk about the evolution of American political parties
- Discuss the role of the Supreme Court in shaping American society
- Talk about the impact of technological advancements on American history
- Discuss the changing role of women in American society
- Examine the impact of American foreign policy on global affairs
- Examine the role of religion in shaping American values
- Discuss the impact of economic changes on American politics
- Talk about the evolution of American civil rights
US History Argumentative Essay Topics
In case you have to write an argumentative essay on a topic in American history, you have arrived at the right place. Here are 11 awesome US history argumentative essay topics:
- Discuss the necessity of the American revolution
- Analyze the failure of the US’ goals in the Vietnam War
- Examine the success of the Reconstruction Era in achieving racial equality
- Examine the effectiveness of Roosevelt’s New Deal
- Analyze the justification for the use of atomic bombs WWII
- Discuss the role of slavery in the development of the US
- Examine the necessity of the Civil Rights Movement for racial equality
- Analyze the failure of the Prohibition in achieving its goals
- Discuss the impact of American national security on global affairs
- Analyze the changing role of women in American society
- Examine the evolution of American civil liberties
US History Essay Questions
Looking for some research questions to help you come up with a great topic on your own? Check out these US history essay questions:
- What led to the start of the American Revolution?
- How did the Louisiana Purchase impact the United States?
- Why is the Emancipation Proclamation so important?
- How did the US’ involvement in World War I affect the country?
- What was the immediate effect of the Great Depression?
- How did the United States change the course of WWII?
- What role did the Civil Rights Movement play?
- How did the Cold War shape US diplomacy?
- What was the significance of the Vietnam War?
- How did the Watergate scandal impact US politics?
- What role did the 9/11 attacks play in changing US national security policy?
- What was the effect of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
- How did the Space Race impact US science?
- What was the impact of the Baby Boom?
- How did the Women’s Rights Movement impact American culture?
- How did the Great Migration impact African American culture?
- What role did the Tuskegee Airmen play in World War II?
- How did the Trail of Tears impact Native American communities?
- What role did the Boston Tea Party play?
- Why is the Underground Railroad important?
20th Century US History Topic Ideas
Do you want to write your paper on a topic related to US history in the 20th century? No problem, here are some excellent 20th century US history topics:
- Analyze the Roaring Twenties and the Jazz Age
- Analyze the United States in WWII
- Discuss the Vietnam War and its impact on society
- Examine the rise of Conservatism in the 1980s
- Discuss the Internet Age and the Digital Revolution
- Examine the War On Terror and the aftermath of 9/11
- Talk about the space race and the Moon landing
- Examine the Red Scare and the McCarthy era
- Discuss the era of prohibition and organized crime
- Talk about the rise and fall of the American rust belt
- The development of American suburbanization
- Talk about the Cold War and the arms race
Controversial American History Essay Ideas
Writing your paper on a controversial topic can bring you a lot of bonus points. Here are some examples of controversial American history essay ideas:
- Was the Trail of Tears an act of genocide?
- Was the Monroe Doctrine a form of imperialism?
- Was the Reconstruction era successful?
- Was the decision to invade Iraq justified?
- Was the American Revolution a war for independence?
- Is the U.S. justified in using torture on terrorists?
- Was the US a Christian nation when founded?
- Should the Electoral College be abolished?
- Was the FBI’s persecution of Martin Luther King Jr. justified?
- Was the New Deal a successful economic policy?
- Was the U.S. justified in using atomic weapons?
- Was the War on Drugs a failed policy?
American History Before 1877 Essay Topics
Our writers and editors managed to put together a list of the best American history before 1877 essay ideas. Choose one and start writing:
- What caused the Salem Witch Trials?
- The significance of the Declaration of Independence
- The impact of the Louisiana Purchase on American expansion
- The role of slavery in the development of the US
- The importance of the Emancipation Proclamation
- The causes and consequences of the War of 1812
- How did the American Revolution shape the nation?
- The importance of the Erie Canal
- The significance of the Compromise of 1850
- The effects of the Dred Scott decision
- The importance of the Boston Tea Party
- The impact of the First Great Awakening on American religion
Topics Of American History For College
We also have some of the most captivating topics of American history for college students. Take a look at our latest ideas and choose the one that suits you best:
- Talk about the historical evolution of American democracy
- Discuss the role of the United States in world affairs
- Discuss the impact of technological advancements on American politics
- Talk about the development of American popular culture
- Analyze the history of American immigration policies
- Analyze the origins and evolution of American capitalism
- Talk about the interplay between state and federal government
- Discuss the impact of economic changes on US society
- Talk about the role of religion in shaping American values and culture
- Discuss the complexities of the US presidency
Black History Essay Topics
No list of history topics would be complete without some original black history essay topics. Here are some ideas that should get you started:
- Martin Luther King Jr.: life and impact on society
- The Harlem Renaissance and its impact on American culture
- The struggle for racial equality in US education
- The continued impact of slavery on American society
- The Black Lives Matter movement
- The intersection of race, gender and class in black women’s activism
- The role of African Americans in the military
- Discuss the HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities)
- The historical struggle for voting rights in the US
- The rise of black political leaders in American history
Civil Rights Movement Topics
We can assure you that your professor will be 100% satisfied with your work if you write an excellent essay on one of the following Civil Rights movement topics:
- Discuss the role of nonviolent resistance in the Civil Rights movement
- Talk about the intersection of race, gender and sexuality
- Examine the development of black nationalism
- Talk about the impact of the Civil Rights movement on American politics
- Discuss the historical significance of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Examine the role of women in the Civil Rights movement
- The evolution of voting rights during the Civil Rights movement
- Discuss the development of the Black Panther Party
- The Civil Rights movement and the Labor movement
- Talk about the continuing struggle for racial justice
- Discuss the Civil Rights movement and the Cold War
Interesting Topics About American History
Looking for some of the most interesting topics about American history? Don’t worry about it; we’ve got your back. Check out these titles:
- American Revolution: The turning point in American history
- Discuss the impact of slavery on American society
- The progressive era: a time of reform and change
- The Great Depression: America’s economic crisis
- The 2020 presidential election: a controversial race
- World War II: US involvement and victory
- The Cold War: America’s global conflict
- The Vietnam War: a controversial conflict
- The Reagan-Bush years: a conservative resurgence
- 9/11 and its effect on the average American
- Black Lives Matter: a contemporary struggle for racial justice
- The Gilded Age: A time of extreme inequality
Difficult American History Topics
If you want to impress your professor or supervisor, it’s time to tackle some more difficult American history topics. Here are a couple of great ideas:
- Origins and impact of slavery in colonial America
- American Revolution: events and outcomes
- Constitution’s role in shaping American government
- Trail of Tears: causes and impact on Native Americans
- Mexican-American War: causes, events and outcomes
- Reconstruction Era: goals, challenges and outcomes
- Industrial Revolution: economic and social changes
- Populist Movement: causes, goals and impact on politics
- Progressive Movement: goals, challenges and achievements
- Red Scare: impact on American politics and society
- Civil Rights Act of 1964: causes, impact and limitations
- Feminist Movement: goals, challenges and achievements
- Watergate Scandal: causes, events and impact on politics
- Iran-Contra Affair: causes, events and consequences
- Trump Presidency: controversies and impact on society
- American imperialism: history and impact on global politics
- COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on American society
American Indian History Topics
American Indians are an integral part of the history of the US. Obviously, we have some very thought-provoking American Indian history topics for you:
- Examine the effects of European colonization on Native Americans
- The importance of buffalo in the daily life of Plains Indians
- What are Navajo Code Talkers?
- Discuss the impact of the Dawes Act
- Analyze the Wounded Knee Massacre
- The impact of the Indian Reorganization Act
- Examine the significance of the Iroquois Confederacy
- Examine the impact of Native American boarding schools
- The role of Native American code talkers during World War I
- The impact of the 1978 Indian Child Welfare Act
- Analyze the effects of the Long Walk of the Navajo on their culture
- The role of Native American women in American history
Famous Americans Topic Ideas
Want to discuss the life and works of a famous American? It can be a great idea for social issues essays. Here is a list of famous Americans topics that will put you on the right track:
- The life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Susan B. Anthony: life and accomplishments
- The life and accomplishments of Benjamin Franklin
- The work of Thomas Edison on technology
- The impact of Jackie Robinson on American society
- The life and accomplishments of Albert Einstein
- The impact of Elvis Presley on American music
- The importance of Muhammad Ali in boxing
- The life and legacy of Rosa Parks
- The impact of John F. Kennedy on American culture
- The life and works of Maya Angelou
- Oprah Winfrey in television and media
Our Latest Unique US History Topics
Take a look at our latest unique US history topics and take your pick. All of the following topics should work great in 2023, so don’t hesitate to give them a try:
- Alexander Hamilton and the American financial systems
- The Battle of Gettysburg: historical significance
- The impact of the Gold Rush on American expansion
- The role of the Pony Express in American communication
- The Homestead Act and the American West
- The role of the Wright brothers in aviation
- The Panama Canal and American trade
- The importance of the Gadsden Purchase
- Freedom Riders in the Civil Rights Movement
- The significance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Reagan Revolution and American conservatism
- The impact of the Gulf War on the American military.
Affordable History Essay Assistance
Looking for some quick and affordable history essay assistance? You are in luck! Our writers will write you a well researched US history research paper or essay in no time and for a very good price. We can help high school, college and university students with any class or course, as we are one of the best essay websites for students. And did you know that all of our reliable writers and editors are native English speakers? You never have to worry about poorly written papers when working with our team.
OK, but how quickly can you do my essay? Our experts work very fast, so they can finish your paper in as little as 3 hours. We always include highly relevant data and information in each paper. In addition, every custom paper is written from scratch to avoid plagiarism. Students will even get a free plagiarism report online with each essay.
If you need help with your American history research paper or essay, reach out to us at any hour of day or night. Use our secure service to get the academic content you need, when you need it!